|The Community Support Toolkit includes a system for creating a WellnessNow directory of supportive people, places and services. An online survey gathers people's suggestions. Submitted listings are reviews are moderated to ensure quality and accuracy. The directory is created in Microsoft Word so that it can be updated. Although each Well In Community Action Tracker is unique, the typical directory features resources in several key areas:
- Eat Well - How do you maintain a healthy weight and enjoy nutritious meals? Fortunately, we do not have to sacrifice good taste for a long and healthy life. Restaurants, grocery stores, food stands, and farmers markets are responding to the demand for healthier food choices. Cooking classes, support groups and health professionals help us to eat well.
- Be Fit - How do you stay fit? Activities that strengthen muscles, keep you flexible and get your heart pumping improve your mental and physical health. Your challenge is to find activities that keep it fresh and enjoyable even during a heat wave or when it rains or snows. A mix of indoor and outdoor activities keeps us moving year-round. Clubs, teams, fitness classes, personal trainers and other fitness professionals can help you adapt exercise routines according to your needs.
- Relax - How do you chill out? Many people find their relaxation through meditation, prayer, or yoga. Others find relaxation in everyday rituals such as taking the dog for a walk.
- Learn and Grow - How do you grow toward your full potential? An active mind depends on a steady diet of new and interesting ideas. Classes, lectures and book clubs can help solve practical problems such career advancement. Learning can also be about artistic expression. Music, dance, photography, theater, and writing are just a few opportunities for personal growth.
- Get Help with Lifestyle Change - Which professionals and support groups can help guide you toward a healthy lifestyle? Wellness coaches, nutritionists, personal trainers, physical therapists, sports coaches, and yoga instructors are just some of the many qualified professionals ready to help you pursue a long, happy, and healthy life. Programs and support groups organized around weight loss, smoking cessation, and substance abuse can help get you started and keep you on track.
- Volunteer - How do you give back to the community? In addition to being good for the community, helping others benefits those giving assistance: it raises self-esteem, reinforces important lifestyle skills and builds a supportive social network. There are many opportunities to put your time, skills and talents to work for the benefit of yourself and others.
- Be Social - How do you make friends, renew relationships or find a new love? Relationships of all kinds are important to our well-being. In addition, many people are more likely to stick with healthy activities if there is a social element built in. Wellness activities such as team sports, support groups, educational programs, and participation in the arts lend themselves to social engagement.
- Bring Your Kids - How do you raise your children so that they enjoy a healthy lifestyle? We need healthy alternatives to hours spent in front of televisions and computer screens. Many wellness activities are kid and teen friendly and can be fun for the whole family.